Wednesday, 26 January 2011

Are the Age Discrimination Laws Working Against Me?

Now where was I?  As yes!  I went for the interview on 11th January and didn't get the job.  I asked for feedback hoping that it would give me an idea of areas where I could improve my interview technique since it is some years since I last attended a job interview.  Guess what!  No feedback yet.  I sent them a reminder e-mail and was assured that feedback was on its way.  Nothing yet but I live in hope.

Since then I've been for another interview for a Legal Secretary position.  The interviewer commented that I had all the relevant experience, we talked and seemed to get on really well, she wanted someone to start immediately, I told her I could .  Since then the silence has been deafening.  If and when she gets in touch I will ask for feedback.

I've been thinking about this age discrimination law - it could be working against me.  Prospective employers are forbidden from mentioning age in an interview therefor, I can't bring the subject up because I would be seen to be leading them into discussion about it.  So there it sits between us like an elephant in the room.  How can I get across to a prospective employer that I might be 63 but I am certainly not at the end of my working life.  I have more energy than most 30-year-olds, and certainly more experience to draw on.  Come on somebody out there read this blog and give me a chance.

Some well-known people who are around my age:

Joanna Lumley
Anne Widdicombe
Lulu
Twiggy
Dame Helen Mirren
Selena Scott
Susan Sarandon
Debbie Harry
Goldie Hawn.................I could go on ad infinitum but I have a job to find.

Bye for now

1 comment:

  1. Hi,im not sure if i already stopped by but i just wanted to say thank you for visitng my blog and im glad you enjoyed it!
    Love Kirsty xxx

    ReplyDelete